home *** CD-ROM | disk | FTP | other *** search
/ Die Speccy' 97 / Die Speccy' 97.iso / amiga_system / the_aminet / comm / bbs / maxsbbsus.lha / MAX154 / TBM / Txt / sid.txt < prev    next >
Text File  |  1995-04-25  |  5KB  |  96 lines

3.   [ This has now been released as Shareware, but it's such a great Directory
  4.     Utility that I thought I'd leave this in, just so you can find out a bit
  5.     more about it.  I MUCH prefer it to OPUS. ]
  7.                                      *
  9.   This is a terrific directory utility, and I've tried 'em all.  It's not
  10. perfect; none of them are, but it's A-1 in my book.  I'm going to grant
  11. quickly that DU's are very personal things, and everyone wants something
  12. different from them, so this isn't going to be a comparison.  Not against 
  13. the mob of PD DU's, nor against the much-heralded OPUS.  This is just a nice
  14. DU and I like it.
  16.   Well, first off, forgive me, but it's pretty.  Talking 8-color here, 16
  17. slows things down too much.  It's just pleasant to look at, what can I say?
  18. And, I gotta admit, after five years of using the Interlace mode, SID's non-
  19. interlaced screen is real pleasant to the eye.  The listings in the windows
  20. scroll real fast with the mouse, so I don't mind them being "half-sized",
  21. compared to the interlace set-up.  It does interlace, of course, but then 
  22. you're back to that jittery routine.
  24.   Customizing is what a smart DU is all about, and this thing can be
  25. customized like crazy.  You have the click boxes down below, and pull-down
  26. menus from above for running separate tools and things.
  28.   The pull-downs are really nice; they allow you to have sub-menus.  One of
  29. my menus has four options; Audio, Graphics, Notepad and Term, and from those
  30. I can fire up any of my major programs.  I have one menu that executes a
  31. bunch of different scriptfiles, mainly for SysOp work.  It'll do things like
  32. copy certain files over to Ram or pop open an Ed window for a new file in Ram
  33. called ReadMeToo.  You can also execute scriptfiles that open NewCLI windows
  34. just where you want them; I have one pop open on the lower left that's CD
  35. Ram, on the lower right is CD dh0.
  37.   The click boxes below can be configured two very nice ways.  First, you can
  38. make a row of boxes half-sized, so you get twice as many, which is just
  39. perfect for devices and directories.  You can only fit three letters in them,
  40. but that's all you need.  That saves all kinds of room, so you can have more
  41. regular command boxes.  
  43.   When you run a command on a file, you can pop open a CLI window to see
  44. what's taking place, or not.  You can have the CLI window stay open after-
  45. wards, or close right away.  You can have it reload the directory after
  46. you're done, or not.  I really miss that feature in other DU's; sometimes I
  47. really want it to reload the dir after, like, editing a file, so I can see
  48. what the new file size is, but with other commands it seems ridiculous, so
  49. this part of it was well done.  Actually, you have lots of control over each
  50. command box, as much as you'll want.  It's smart enough to run commands that
  51. need variables, which is a feat unto itself, given some of the oddball
  52. configurations you run into.  It has a bunch of built-in commands, like Show,
  53. Play, Read, etc, but you'll probably want to use about half of your own.  No
  54. sweat, it seems to handle everything with ease.
  56.   Second, you get two panels of boxes.  You might have 40 boxes on one side,
  57. then just click anywhere in the box area with the right mouse button, and
  58. you've got 40 more.  If you're using, say, the top row for devices and dirs,
  59. then those would stay the same, but everything else would be different.
  60. Since I'm a SysOp, I do a lot of testing, so my front panel is kind of a
  61. Workbench/CLI testing ground, and the flip side is an audio/graphics lab.
  63.   For what it's worth, you can have 100 boxes on a side, 200 total.
  65.   One of the best things about SID is that when you're copying or dir'ing
  66. files, a small stop/pause box appears, so you can quickly stop or pause the
  67. process.  If you want to copy a file to a large dir, you hit the button for
  68. the dir, or double-click the screen, then instead of waiting for the whole
  69. dir to display, you hit the Stop box, then copy the file over.  No mess, no
  70. fuss, no timely wait.  If for some reason you just want to pause things for a
  71. minute, like, if you're copying a large file to your bulletin board via the
  72. parnet cable, and somebody happens to call at that very moment...that
  73. option's there, too. :)
  75.   A small trick:  since I've got mem to burn, I load up a bunch of the tools
  76. and commands I use with SID, like CygnusEd, Less, LHA, a few c commands,
  77. NewCLI, whatever, and toss them into a drawer tucked away on RAD.  Then I
  78. make SID run those commands instead of from the drive.  Makes the whole thing
  79. lightning-quick.  Since they're in Rad, they'll survive a warm boot, and the
  80. next time I run the scriptfile that fires up SID, it'll test to see if the
  81. files are in Rad, and skip over that part if they are.
  83.   You can Run any command, program or text viewer, of course, so you can
  84. continue to operate the DU.  As you can see, you can end up with just all
  85. kinds of windows and programs and things up..it's really kind of it's own
  86. little world in a way.  As I once said in a message, a directory utility is
  87. a "tool".  SID and OPUS are "systems".
  91.   Well, that's a quick run-down on this excellent DU.   Enjoy!
  96. %Z